Place:


Greasborough  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greasborough like this:

GREASBROUGH, a village and a chapelry, in Rotherham parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence above two brooks, gear the North Midland railway, 2 miles N by W of Rotherham; and has a post office under Rotherham. The chapelry includes also Cinder Bridge hamlet, and parts of Lower Haugh and Parkgate hamlets. ...


Acres, 2, 329. Real property, £10, 245; of which £94 are in qualities, £2, 450 in mines, and £1, 002 in iron works. Pop. in 1851, 2, 01 7; in 1861, 2, 937. Houses, 608. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to the Gresbrocs; belonged, in the early part of the 14th century, to William de Tinsley; and passed to the Wegtworths. Coal and slate are extensively worked. There seems to have been a Roman settlement; and there are ruins of an ancient monastery. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £179. Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church was built in 1828, at a cost of £4, 750; is in the pointed style; and has a tower. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Free Methodists, a national school, and charities £33.

Greasborough through time

Greasborough is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greasborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greasborough, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1020

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greasborough ".