Place:


Ellel  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ellel like this:

ELLEL, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The township is in Cockerham parish; lies adjacent to the Lancaster canal, and the Lancaster and Preston railway, near Galgate station, 4 miles S by E of Lancaster; and is cut into two divisions, north and south. ...


Post town, Galgate, under Lancaster. Real property of the N div., £5, 243; of the S div., £3, 895, -of which £10 are in quarries. Pop. of the whole, in 1851, 1, 484; in 1861, 1, 968. Houses, 369. The increase of population arose from the erection of a silk factory, and the re-opening of a cotton factory-Ellel Grange and Ellel Hall are chief residences. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1858. Pop., 1,877. Houses, 351. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Cockerham. The church is good; and there are three dissenting chapels and two public schools.—The sub-district contains also three other townships and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 28, 888. Pop., 4, 020. Houses, 715.

Ellel through time

Ellel is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ellel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ellel, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10199

Date accessed: 20th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ellel ".