Place:


Chelmarsh  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chelmarsh like this:

CHELMARSH, a parish and a division in Salop. The parish is in Bridgnorth district; lies on the river Severn, 2 miles NW of Hampton r. station, and 3½ S by E of Bridgnorth; and has a post office under Bridgnorth. Acres, 3, 259. Real property, £6. 043. Pop., 564. Houses, 112. The property is much subdivided. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £250.* Patron, Sir T. G. S. Sebright, Bart. The church is ancient but very good; and has a tower. The division is in Stottesden hundred; and contains seventeen parishes, and parts of four others. Acres, 43, 982. Pop., 5, 655. Houses, 1, 151.

Chelmarsh through time

Chelmarsh is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chelmarsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chelmarsh, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10192

Date accessed: 18th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chelmarsh ".