Place:


Cardington  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cardington like this:

CARDINGTON, a village and a parish in ChurchStretton district, Salop. The village stands on a pleasant spot, under Cardington hill, 2½ miles E of the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, and 4 ENE of Church-Stretton; and has a post office under Church-Stretton. The parish includes also the townships of Broom, Chatwall, Comley, Enchmarsh, Holt-Preen, Lydley-Hayes, Plaish, Willstone, and part of Gretton. ...


Acres, 6,713. Real property, £4,723. Pop., 768. Houses, 141. The property is much subdivided. Fine clay and quartz for the potteries are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £287.* Patron, R. Hunt, Esq. The church is good. A school has £25 from endowment; and other charities, £53.

Cardington through time

Cardington is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cardington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cardington, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10190

Date accessed: 22nd May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cardington ".