Place:


Sibford Gower  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sibford Gower like this:

SIBFORD, a chapelry, with two townships, in Swalcliffe parish, Oxford; on the railway forming in 1868 from Edenton to Blockley, 7¼ miles WSW of Banbury. It has a post-office under Banbury. Acres, 2,510. Real property, £5,561. Pop., 796. Houses, 184. The manor belongs to J. H. Sheldon, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £235.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church was built in 1840. There are chapels for Quakers and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £30 a year, new schools built in 1867, a Quakers' school, and charities £105.

Sibford Gower through time

Sibford Gower is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sibford Gower itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sibford Gower, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10176

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sibford Gower ".