Place:


Buildwas  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buildwas like this:

BUILDWAS, a parish in Madeley district, Salop; on the river Severn, and on the Severn Valley railway, at the junction of the branch to Much-Wenlock, 3½ miles SE of the Wrekin, and 4 NE of Much-Wenlock. It has a station on the railway, at the junction; and its Post Town is Iron-Bridge, under Wellington, Salop Acres, 2,128. ...


Real property, £2,079. Pop., 276. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. Build was Park is the seat of W. Moseley, Esq. A Cistertian Abbey was founded in the parish, in 1135, by Roger, bishop of Chester; and given, at the dissolution, to Lord Powis. The side aisles and the chapels of the Abbey church have perished; but the nave, the transept, the tower-arches, and the chapter house mostly remain, are transition Norman, and form a noble ruin. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £20. Patron, W. Moseley, Esq. The church was built in 1720.

Buildwas through time

Buildwas is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Buildwas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buildwas, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10175

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Buildwas ".