Place:


Broughton  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broughton like this:

BROUGHTON, a parish in Wem district, Salop; on the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, at Yorton station, 3½ miles SSW of Wem. It includes the township of Yorton; and its Post Town is Grinshill, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 880. Rated property, £1,619. Pop., 223. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £65. Patron, Viscount Hill. The church was built in 1860; is in the early decorated style; and consists of nave and chancel, with bell turret and vestry.

Broughton through time

Broughton is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughton in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10171

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broughton ".