Place:


Shilton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shilton like this:

SHILTON, a parish, with a village, in Witney district, Oxford; 6 miles W by S of Witney r. station. Post town, Bampton, under Faringdon. Acres, 1,595. Real property, £2,019. Pop., 298. Houses, 69. The manor belongs to J. H. Lance, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £112. Patron, the Rev. A. Neate. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £8 a year, and charities £34.

Shilton through time

Shilton is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shilton in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10166

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shilton ".