Place:


Great Rollright  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Rollright like this:

ROLLRIGHT (Great), a village and a parish in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford. The village stands 3 miles N by E of Chipping-Norton r. station; was known at Domesday as Rollendri; and has a wall letter-box under Chipping-Norton. The parish comprises 2, 360 acres. Real property, £3, 478. Pop., 410. ...


Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Brasenose College, Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £250.* Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church is partly Norman, partly early English, all good: and contains a monument to Shepheard, the friend of Prior. There are two Baptist chapels, a national school, and charities £130.

Great Rollright through time

Great Rollright is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Rollright itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Rollright in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10128

Date accessed: 17th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Rollright ".