Place:


Coppull  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coppull like this:

COPPULL, a township and a chapelry in Standish parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Wigan and Preston railway, 6 miles N by W of Wigan; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Chorley. Acres, 2, 279. Real property, £6, 152; of which £1, 950 are in mines. Pop., 1, 230. ...


Houses, 218. The chapelry was constituted in 1842; and was at first more extensive than the township, with a pop. of upwards of 2, 000; but is now conterminate with the township. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Manchester. Value, £120. Patron, the Rector of Standish. The church was rebuilt in 1861. There a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £44.

Coppull through time

Coppull is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coppull itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coppull, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10058

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coppull ".