Place:


Broughton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broughton like this:

BROUGHTON, a township-chapelry and a subdistrict, in Salford district, Lancashire; on the river Irwell, near the Bolton railway, in the parish and within the borough of Manchester. It includes a suburb of Manchester, called Higher Broughton and Lower Broughton, communicating with Salford by Broughton bridge; includes also the village of Kersall; and has a post office,‡ of the name of Broughton-Road, under Manchester. ...


Acres, 960. Real property, £66,430. Pop., 9,885. Houses, 1,789. Broughton Hall belonged formerly to the Chethams and the Stanleys; was partly burnt in 1847; and belongs now to Col. Clowes. Higher Broughton and Lower Broughton contain several streets, straight, airy, and crossing one another at right angles; and the two are conjoint. The chapelry was constituted in 1840. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £400.* Patrons, Trustees. There are six dissenting chapels; one of them built in 1869, at a cost of £6,000.-The subdistrict is conterminate with the chapelry.

Broughton through time

Broughton is now part of Salford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughton, in Salford and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10026

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broughton ".