Place:


Evesham  Worcestershire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Evesham like this:

Evesham, mun. bor. and market town with ry. sta., E. Worcestershire, on river Avon, 15 miles SE. of Worcester and 105 miles NW. of London, 2338 ac., pop. 5112; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Monday. A stone bridge of 8 arches connects the town with Bengeworth. The chief industry is market-gardening; but there are also some mfrs. ...


of agricultural implements, and of gloves and hosiery. Evesham was the seat of a monastery as early as the beginning of the 8th century; the tower (built a little before the Reformation) still remains, and is considered one of the finest specimens of its kind in England. The battle of Evesham, which replaced Henry III. on his throne, was fought in 1265. Evesham returned 2 members to Parliament till 1867, and 1 member till 1885.

Evesham through time

Evesham is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Evesham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Evesham, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1002

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Evesham ".