Place:


Brize Norton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brize Norton like this:

NORTON-BRIZE, a parish in Witney district, Oxford; 3 miles N N W of Bampton-in-the-Bush, and 4 W S W of Witney r. station. Post-town, Bampton, under Faringdon. Acres, 3, 140. Real property, £4, 106. Pop., 716. Houses, 156. The manor, with the Manor House, belongs to John Worley, Esq. Marsh-Haddon is the residence of W. ...


Morley, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300.* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is early English, with a Norman doorway; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a piscina, sedilia, and a curious armed effigies of J. D' Aubigne of 1346. Charities, £5.

Brize Norton through time

Brize Norton is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brize Norton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brize Norton in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10015

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brize Norton ".