Place:


Bude  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bude like this:

BUDE, or Budehaven, a village and a chapelry in Stratton parish, Cornwall. The village stands on a small bay of Bristol Channel, at the mouth of the Bude canal, 1½ mile W of Stratton. It has a post office,‡ of the name of Bude, North Devon, and a hotel; is frented as a bathing place; and carries on a great trade in the deportation of shell sand as manure. ...


A fair is held at it on 22 Sept. The tract around it includes drifted sand hills, a grand coast, brilliant view points, and the house of Mr. Gurney, the inventor of the Bude light. The chapelry includes the village; and was constituted in 1836. Pop., 766. Houses, 163. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £120.* Patron, Sir T. D. Acland, Bart.

Bude through time

Bude is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bude itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bude in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1001

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bude ".