BETTON, a township and a chapelry in St. Chad parish, Salop; 3 ¼. miles SSE of Shrewsbury. The township is a conjoint one, bearing the name of Betton and Aikmere. Pop., 48. The chapelry is called BettonStrange. Acres and pop., returned with the parish. Rated property, £1,080. The property is divided among a few. Betton-Strange House is the seat of G. Scott, Esq.; and Betton Hall, the seat of the Norcops. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patron, G. Scott, Esq. The church is good.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Shropshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.