Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ILLINGWORTH

ILLINGWORTH, a village and a chapelry in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles NW of Halifax r. station, and has a post office under Halifax, and a worsted mill. The chapelry includes the village, and is part of Ovenden township. Rated property, £17, 863. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £140.* Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The church is very good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Halifax CP/AP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Illingworth

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.