Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MELBECKS

MELBECKS, a township and a chapelry in Grinton parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, 2 miles E of Muker, and 12 NW by W of Leyburn r. station; and contains the hamlets of Blaides, Barfend, Feetham, Kearton, Lodge-Green, Longrow, Poting, Winserings, Wintering-Garths, Smarber, and Gunnerside, the last of which has a post office under Richmond, Yorkshire. Acres, 10,106. Real property, £4,846; of which £106 are in mines. Pop., 1,622. Houses, 326. The property is much subdivided.—The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1841. Pop., 2,173. Houses, 431. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Grinton. The church is modern.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Grinton AP/CP/Tn       Melbecks CP/Tn       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Melbecks

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.