Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MILES-PLATTING

MILES-PLATTING, a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 1¼ mile ENE of Victoria station in Manchester. It consists of a suburb in Manchester city; has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office† under Manchester; and was constituted in 1856. Pop., 5,153. Houses, 1,035. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £239.* Patron, Sir T. P. Heywood, Bart. The church is in the Italian style, and contains about 750 sittings. A Wesleyan chapel, in the pointed style, with 700 sittings, at a cost of £2,611, was built in the neighbourhood, in Oldham-road, in 1866. A noted Wesleyan school, known as Ryder's school, was for years the only place of religions instruction in the suburbs.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Manchester CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Miles Platting

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.