Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MOSS-SIDE

MOSS-SIDE, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The village lies 2 miles S by E of Manchester, is neatly built, and has an ornamental public park. The township comprises 430 acres. Real property, £20,039. Pop. in 1851,943; in 1861, 2,695. Houses, 435. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the extension of buildings and other improvements. -The chapelry is much larger than the township, and was constituted in 1854. Polp. in 1861,6,114. Houses, 1,114. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £717. Patrons, the Representatives of R. Gardiner, Esq. The church is modern. There are national and other schools.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Manchester CP/AP       Moss Side Tn/CP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Moss Side

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.