Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NASSINGTON

NASSINGTON, a village and a parish in Oundle district, Northampton. The village stands on the river Nen, and on the Peterborough and Northampton railway, at the boundary with Huntingdon, 1½ mile N of Elton r.station, and 5½ N by E of Oundle; and has a post-office under Wansford. The parish comprises 1, 660 acres. Real property, £3, 247. Pop. in 1851, 795; in 1861, 718. Houses, 157. The manor belongs to the Earl of Westmoreland. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Yarwell, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £386.* Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is Norman; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and crocketted spire. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £31.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Nassington AP/CP       Oundle PLU/RegD       Northamptonshire AncC
Place: Nassington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.