Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NOTTING-HILL

NOTTING-HILL, a quondam hamlet and five chapelries in Kensington parish, Middlesex. The quondamhamlet is now an edificed suburb of the metropolis; lies N of Kensington, and 4½ miles W of St. Paul's; includeswhat was once the manor of Knotting Bernes, belonginganciently to the De Veres; began to be edificed, in thesuburban fashion, in 1828; comprises Pembridge-gardens, Pembridge-crescent, Pembridge-square, Ladbroke-square, Stanley-terrace, Lansdowne crescent, Ladbroke-gardens, Chapel-terrace, Clarendon-road, and many otherwell-built and ornate places of pleasant appearance and fashionable character; contains also industrial dwellings, erected in 1866 for Sir S. Morton Peto, Bart.; is traversed by a link of the Circular railway, called the Notting-Hill and Brompton Extension, commencing from the Metropolitan by the Edgeware-road, proceeding westward across Leinster-gardens by Moscow-road to Pembridge-square, turning there to the south, passing along Church-lane, crossing the Kensington-road to the Kensingtonworkhouse, and becoming identified there with the Metropolitan District railway; and has a station of the name of Notting-Hill between Westbourne-Park and Shepherds-Bush stations, a post-office‡ of the name of Notting-Hill, in High-street under London W, other post-offices‡ in Alexander-street, North Clarendon-road, Cornwall-road, Elgin-road, Ladbroke-grove, Ledbury-road, and Union-terrace-Norland-Town, under Notting-Hill, London W, and postal pillar-boxes in ten other places. The five chapelries are St. John, St. Peter, All Saints, St. Mark, and St. Andrew; and were constituted in 1845, 1857, 1861, 1863, and 1867. Pop. of St. John in 1861, 15, 662; of St. Peter, 6, 660. Houses, 1, 913 and 981. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of London. Value, not reported. Patron of St. John, the Bishop of London; of St. Peter, R. Martin, Esq.; of All Saints, Dr. Walker; of St. Mark, Miss Kaye. St. John's churchstands on the site of the Hippodrome; and is a cruciformstructure in the early English style, with a good spire. St. Peter's church is sometimes designated of Bays-water; was erected in 1857, after designs by T. Allom; and is in the classic style. All Saints' church was built in 1860, after designs by H. White; and is a handsome edifice, in the florid Gothic style. The iron church of St. Andrewwas built in 1863, at a cost of about £1, 650, for the accommodation of the Kensington Potteries; stood on Silchester-road; and was destroyed by fire in March 1867. An Independent chapel is at Horbury, was built in 1849, and is in the pointed style. Baptist chapels are in Westbourne-grove and Cornwall-road. A Wesleyan chapel bears the name of Nottingdale chapel; and another Wesleyan chapel stands in Chapel-terrace, isflanked by second-class dwelling-houses, and was built in 1858.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a quondam hamlet and five chapelries"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Kensington CP/AP/Vest       Middlesex AncC
Place: Notting Hill

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.