Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OSSETT (South)

OSSETT (South), a village and a chapelry in Ossett-with-Gawthorpe township, Dewsbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the river Calder, 1 mile N W of Horbury r. station, and 3 W S W of Wakefield; and has.a post-office under Wakefield. The chapelry includes the village, and all the S section of the township; and was constituted in 1846. Rated property, about £10,000. Pop.in 1861, 3,018. Houses, 659. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to S. W. L. Fox, Esq. There are coal mines, several woollen-cloth mills, scribbling and fulling mills, and gas-works. There is also an extensive operatives' company, employed in the manufacture of cotton and in other industries. There are like-wise two mineral springs, of similar quality to the waters of Cheltenham, and much frequented in summer. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1851; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. There are also handsome Church schools, in the pointed style, erected in 1857, at a cost of more than £6,000.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Dewsbury CP/AP/Tn       Yorkshire AncC
Place names: OSSETT     |     OSSETT SOUTH     |     SOUTH OSSETT
Place: South Ossett

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.