Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OSSETT-WITH-GAWTHORPE

OSSETT-WITH-GAWTHORPE, a township and a sub-district in Dewsbury parish and district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township is co-extensive with jointly Ossett and South Ossett chapelries; and contains the villages of Ossett and South Ossett, and the hamlets of Ossett-street and Gawthorpe. Acres, 3,019. Real property, £19, 948; of which £680 are in mines, and £150 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 6, 266; in 1861, 7, 950. Houses, 1, 682. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of the woollen manufacture. The sub-district is conterminate with the township.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Dewsbury CP/AP/Tn       Dewsbury PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Ossett

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.