Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PELTON

PELTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Chester-le-Street parish, Durham. The village stands1¼ mile S of the river Team, 2 N W of Chester-le-Street, and 4½ W by S of Penshaw r. station; has recently undergone much enlargement; and is associated with a popular air, called " Pelton Lonnin." The township comprises 1, 109 acres. Real property, £3, 652. Pop. in 1851, 1, 207; in 1861, 2, 787. Houses, 544. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of collieries. The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1842. Post-town, Fence-Houses. Rated property, £6, 557. Pop. in 1861, 4, 344. Houses, 829. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Chester-le-Street. The church was built in 1842; is in the pointed style; and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and two public schools.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Chester le Street Ch/AP/CP       Pelton CP/Tn       County Durham AncC
Place: Pelton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.