Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PRITTLEWELL

PRITTLEWELL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Rochford district, Essex. The village stands on the slope of a hill, 1 mile N of Southend r. station; is an ancient place, known in the time of Edward the Confessor; takes its name from a well situated at anancient priory, and feeding several fish-ponds; consists of two streets, at right angles with each other; and has a post-office under Chelmsford, and a fair on 15 and 16 July. The parish contains also the town of Southend, and the hamlet of Milton; includes a part of Canveyisland; and comprises 5, 248 acres of land, and 6,045 ofwater. Real property, £17, 392; of which £570 are infisheries. Pop. in 1851, 2, 462; in 1861, 3, 427. Houses, 600. The manor, with P. Priory, belongs to D. R. Scratton, Esq. A Cluniac priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by R. Fitzswaine; went, at the dissolution, to the Audleys; and is partlypreserved in the present cognominal mansion. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £365.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The churchstands at the junction of the village's two streets, on the top of the hill; is later English; and has a loftytower, which serves as a sea-mark. The p. curacy of Southend is a separate benefice. There are an endowed school with £23 a year, and charities £31.—The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 18,089. Pop., 5, 394. Houses, 982.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Prittlewell AP/CP       Prittlewell SubD       Rochford PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place: Prittlewell

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.