Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ROPLEY

ROPLEY, a parish and a sub-district in Alresford district, Hants. The parish lies on the Guild ford and Winchester railway, 4 miles E of Alresford; contains Ropley-Street hamlet; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Alresford. Acres, 4, 595. Real property, £4, 601. Pop., 796. Houses, 174. The property is much subdivided. A very beautiful Roman torque, of a spiral form, was, a few years ago, unearthed in a field; and is figured in Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities. The parish is a resort of sports-men. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Bishops-Sutton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is ancient, and was restored and enlarged in 1848. There is a national school. Archbishop Sutton was anative.—The sub-district contains also 8 other parishes. Acres, 23, 142. Pop., 3, 508. Houses, 728.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Ropley CP/Ch       Ropley SubD       Alresford PLU/RegD       Hampshire AncC
Place: Ropley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.