Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SPITTLEGATE, Houghton, and Walton

SPITTLEGATE, Houghton, and Walton, a township in Grantham parish, Lincoln; adjacent to Grantham. Real property, £11,520. Pop. in 1851, 3,084; in 1861, 3,803. Houses, 798. The Grantham workhouse and extensive foundries are here. See Grantham.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Grantham CP/Tn/AP       Spittlegate Tn/CP       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Spittlegate

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.