Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for THORNEY

THORNEY, a parish, with three townships, in Newark district, Notts; 2½ miles SW of Saxilby r. station, and 8 E of Tuxford. Post town, Newark. Acres, 4,140. Real property, £5,341. Pop., 395. Houses, 76. T. manor belongs to the Neviles; Broadholme manor, to T. Redgate, Esq.; Wigsley manor, to Sir G. Welby, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £180.* Patron,Nevile, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1850.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with three townships"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Thorney AP/CP       Newark PLU/RegD       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place: Thorney

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.