Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TRAFFORD (Old)

TRAFFORD (Old), a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; on the Manchester and Altrincham railway, in the SW outskirts of Manchester city. It was constituted in 1858; it has a r. station with telegraph; and it contains the botanic garden, the asylum for the blind, and schools for the deaf and dumb. Post town, Manchester. Pop. in 1861, 2,184. Houses, 336. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £498. Patron, the Bishop of M.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Manchester CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place names: OLD TRAFFORD     |     TRAFFORD     |     TRAFFORD OLD
Place: Trafford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.