Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for UPPINGHAM

UPPINGHAM, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Rutland. The town stands 3 miles SSW of Manton r. station, and 6 S of Oakham; is a seat of county courts; consists chiefly of one long street; and has a head post-office,‡ two banking offices, a hotel, an ancient church restored in 1861, and surmounted by a lofty spire, four dissenting chapels, a new cemetery formed at a cost of more than £6,000, a famous grammar-school, a national school, a workhouse, charities £53, a weekly market on Wednesday, and fairs on 7 March and 7 July. The grammar-school was founded in the time of Elizabeth; was rebuilt in 1863, at a cost of £40,000; has a chapel in the decorated English style, built in 1865, at a cost of nearly £6,000; includes accommodation for from 250 to 300 boarders; holds two scholarships of £70 a year each, and three exhibitions at the universities; had Archbishop Manners Sutton, Bishops Ferne and Bramston, and Lord Chancellor Manners for pupils; and has, in connexion with it, an hospital-charity for decayed tradesmen, widows, and others. Pop. of the town, in 1861, 2,176. Houses, 392.—The parish comprises 1,210 acres. Real property, £.9,201; of which £140 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,068; in 1861, 2,186. Houses, 397. The manor belonged to the Montforts; passed to the Beauchamps, the Cecils, the Greys, and others; and belongs now to the Earl of Gainsborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £661.* Patron, the Bishop of P. Jeremy Taylor was rector.—The sub-district contains 12 parishes. Acres, 19,007. Pop., 5,356. Houses, 1,080.—The district includes also Barrowden and Great Easton sub-districts, and comprises 52,698 acres. Poor rates, in 1863, £6,179. Pop. in 1851, 12,719; in 1861, 12,367. Houses, 2,626. Marriages in 1863, 73; births, 371,-of which 35 were illegitimate; deaths,. 259, -of which 100 were at ages under 5 years, and 7 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 756; births, 3,920; deaths 2,206. The places of worship, in 1851, were 31 of the Church of England, with 6,817 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 818 s.; 9 of Baptists, with 1,161 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 60 s.; 8 of Wesleyans, with 895 s; 2 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 186 s.; 2 undefined, with 380 s.: and 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 30 s. The schools were 18 public day-schools, with 1,170 scholars; 39 private day-schools, with 554 s.; and 37 Sunday schools, with 1,971 s.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Uppingham CP/AP       Uppingham SubD       Uppingham PLU/RegD       Rutland AncC
Place: Uppingham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.