Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WALES

WALES, a parish, with a village and three hamlets, in the district of Worksop and W. R. Yorkshire; on the Chesterfield canal, 2 miles W of Kiveton-Park r. station, and 7 SSE of Rotherham. It has a post-office under Rotherham. Acres, 1,950. Real property, £2,037; of which £300 are in mines. Pop., 305. Houses, 59. The manor belongs to S. L. Fox, Esq. The canal here traverses a tunnel 2¼ miles long. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £240. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is chiefly Norman and all good. Charities, £9.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village and three hamlets"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wales CP/Ch       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Wales

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.