Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WEST TOWN

WEST TOWN, a chapelry in Dewsbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire; adjacent to Dewsbury town and r. station. It was constituted in 1849; and its Post town is Dewsbury. Pop. 3,431. Houses, 706. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Dewsbury CP/AP/Tn       Yorkshire AncC
Place: West Town

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.