Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ARDWICK

ARDWICK, a township, three chapelries, and a subdistrict in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township is suburban to Manchester city, on the SE; and lies within the borough boundaries. Acres, 470. Real pro perty, £57,895. Pop., 21,757. Houses, 4,414. The Manchester and Sheffield railway has a station here, ¾ of a mile from the terminus; joins here the Manchester and Birmingham railway near Chancery lane; and is carried here on a succession of immense viaducts.-The chapel ries are Ardwick-St. Thomas, Ardwick-St. Silas, and Ardwick-St. Matthew; and were constituted in respec tively 1838, 1844, and 1868. Pop. of A. St. T., 10,147. Houses, 2,029. Pop. of A. St. S., 10,375. Houses, 2,143. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. E. and St. S., each £300; of St. M., not reported. Patrons of St. T., the Dean and Chapter of Manchester, of St. S. and St. M., Trustees.-The subdistrict includes also four other townships, and is in Chorlton district. Acres, 4,031. Pop., 47,752. Houses, 9,322.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township, three chapelries, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Ardwick Tn/Ch/CP       Manchester CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Ardwick

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.