Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BARFORD (Great)

BARFORD (Great), a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, 3 miles NNW of Sandy r. station, and 6 E by N of Bedford. It has a post office under St. Neot's. Acres, 2,830. Real property, £4,679. Pop., 907. Houses, 198. The property is subdivided. The river Ouse here is crossed by a bridge of about the beginning of the 15th century, and is navigable. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Roxton, in the dio. of Ely. The church is later English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £20.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Great Barford CP/AP       Bedfordshire AncC
Place names: BARFORD     |     BARFORD GREAT     |     GREAT BARFORD
Place: Great Barford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.