Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BATLEY-CARR

BATLEY-CARR, a hamlet and a chapelry in Batley and Dewsbury parishes, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet stands ¾ of a mile S of Batley, and has a post office under Dewsbury. The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Rated property, £6,505. Pop., 3,859. Houses, 796. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury. The church is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Batley AP/Tn/CP       Dewsbury CP/AP/Tn       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Batley Carr

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.