Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BIRCH, or Birch-in-Rusholme

BIRCH, or Birch-in-Rusholme, a hamlet and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Chorlton district, Lancashire. The hamlet stands 1¼ mile NW of Levenshulme r. station, and 2½ S by E of Manchester. The chapelry includes the hamlet; was constituted, conterminate with Rusholme township, in 1838; and was reconstituted, on a smaller scale, in 1854. Post Town, Levenshulme, under Manchester. Pop., 2,043. Houses, 344. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £160.* Patron, Sir J. W. H. Anson, Bart. The church is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Manchester CP/AP       Chorlton PLU/RegD       Lancashire AncC
Place names: BIRCH     |     BIRCH IN RUSHOLME     |     BIRCH OR BIRCH IN RUSHOLME
Place: Birch in Rusholme

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.