Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BLACKLEY

BLACKLEY, a village, two chapelries, and a subdistrict, in Manchester parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Irk, near the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3 miles N of Manchester; and has a post office under Manchester, and a police station. The chapelries are B. and B.-St. Andrew. Acres, 1,764. Real property, £10,955. Pop., 4,112. Houses, 838. The property is subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton manufactures and in extensive dye-works. The livings are rectories. Value of B., £182.* B. church was rebuilt in 1835; and is in the early English style, with a fine tower. St. A. church was built in 1866. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a mechanics' institution, a Church institute, public schools, and a reformatory.-The subdistrict includes also Harpurhey township.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, two chapelries, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Manchester CP/AP       Manchester PLPar/PLU/RegD       Lancashire AncC
Place: Blackley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.