Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BRADFORD

BRADFORD, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies adjacent to the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 4 miles E of Manchester; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 279. Pop., 3,523. Houses, 707. The chapelry extends into Beswick township; bears the name of Bradford-cum-Beswick; and was constituted very recently. The statistics are not reported. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, with a parsonage, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church was built in 1862, at a cost of £6,000; and is in the early English style, and cruciform. There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels, large schools built in 1864, at a cost of £3,000, and a police station.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Bradford Tn/CP       Manchester CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place names: BRADFORD     |     BRADFORD CUM BESWICK
Place: Bradford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.