Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHRISTCHURCH

CHRISTCHURCH, a village and a parish in Newport district, Monmouth. The village stands near the river Usk and the South Wales railway, 2½ miles ENE of Newport; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a fair on 29 Nov. The parish includes also the hamlet of Caerleon-ultra-Pontem; and its post town is Caerleon, under Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 5, 757. Real property, £17, 782. Pop., 3, 004. Houses, 632. The property is subdivided. Limestone is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, not reported.* Patron, Eton College. The church is perpendicular English; and contains a curious sculptured sepulchral stone of the 14th century. The p. curacy of Maindee is a separate benefice. Charities, 65.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Christchurch CP/AP       Newport PLU/RegD       Monmouthshire AncC
Place: Christchurch

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.