Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHORLTON-CUM-HARDY

CHORLTON-CUM-HARDY, a township-chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; near the river Mersey and the North Western railway, 3½ miles SW of Manchester. It has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1, 265. Real property, £4, 928. Pop., 73o. Houses, 147. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £103. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. The church was built in 1866, at a cost of £5, 000. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Chorlton Cum Hardy Ch/CP       Manchester CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Chorlton Cum Hardy

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.