Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for COMPTON (Over)

COMPTON (Over), a parish in Sherborne district, Dorset; at the boundary with Wilts, 2½ miles ENE of Yeovil r. station, and 3½ W by N of Sherborne. Post town, Compton, under Sherborne. Acres, 788. Real property, £1, 983. Pop., 150. Houses, 29. The. property is all in one estate. Over Compton House is the seat of John Goodden, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Nether Compton, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Over Compton CP/AP       Sherborne PLU/RegD       Dorset AncC
Place names: COMPTON     |     COMPTON OVER     |     OVER COMPTON
Place: Over Compton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.