Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CRUMPSALL

CRUMPSALL, a township and two chapelries in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Irk, 2½ miles N of Manchester. Post town, Manchester. Acres, 733. Real property, £20, 329. Pop., 4, 285. Houses, 714. Crumpsall Hall was the seat of the Chethams; and passed to the Waklyns. The chapelries are Crumpsall-St. Mary and Crumpsall-St. Thomas or Lower Crumpsall. Crumpsall-St. Mary was constituted in 1860, and did not include all the township. Pop., 3, 306. Houses, 525. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church was built in 1859, at a cost of £4, 420; is in the early decorated style; and consists of nave, chancel, and south aisles, with bell-turret and vestry. Crumpsall-St. Thomas was constituted in 1863; and is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Statistics not reported. Patron, the Bishop of M. The church was founded in 1862. There are three Methodist chapels, large schools, a mechanics' institute, and the Manchester new workhouse.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and two chapelries"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Crumpsall Tn/CP       Manchester CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Crumpsall

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.