Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DAVENHAM

DAVENHAM, a township and a parish in Northwich district, Cheshire. The township lies on the river Dane, near the Trent and Mersey canal, 1½ mile E by N of Hartford r. station, and 2 S of Northwich; and has a post office under Northwich, and fairs on 15 April and 15 Oct. Acres, 479. Real property, £2, 005. Pop., 518. Houses, 109. The parish contains also the townships of Rudheath, Shipbrook, Newhall, Whatcroft, Bostock, Stanthorne, Wharton, Moulton, Eaton, Leftwich, and Shurlach. Acres, 9, 449. Real property, £43, 209. Pop., 6, 855. Houses, 1, 397. The property is much sub-divided. Brine pits are here. An action was fought, in 1643, at Rudheath, between the royalists and the parliamentarians. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £727.* Patron, James F. France, Esq. The church is very good. The vicarages of Wharton and Dane-Bridge are separate benefices. There are two Independent chapels, three Methodist chapels, three national schools, and charities £71.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Davenham CP/AP       Northwich PLU/RegD       Cheshire AncC
Place: Davenham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.