Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DENTON

DENTON, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district in Manchester parish, Ashton-under-Lyne district, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Tame, and on the Staleybridge and Stockport railway, at the boundary with Cheshire, 3½ miles NNE of Stockport; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Manchester. Acres, 1, 647. Real property, £8, 997; of which £2, 000 are in mines. Pop., 3, 335. Houses, 675-Coal is worked, and hat-making carried on. Denton Hall, now a farm-house, was the seat of the Hollands. The chapelries are St. Lawrence and Christ-Church; the former constituted in 1854, the latter in 1846. Rated property, £5, 209 and £7, 683. Pop., 3, 127 and 3, 579. Houses, 623 and 739. The property of St. Lawrence is divided among a few; that of Christ-Church, much sub-divided. Both livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £203 * and £221.* Patrons of St. L., the Earl of Wilton; ofC., alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church ofwas built in 1856. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a mechanics' institute, and two national schools. -The sub-district comprises the townships of Denton and Haughton. Acres, 2, 777. Pop., 6, 706. Houses, 1, 762.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Manchester CP/AP       Ashton under Lyne PLU/RegD       Lancashire AncC
Place: Denton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.