Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GORTON

GORTON, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, and on the Stourport canal, 3 miles ESE of Manchester; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Manchester. Acres, 1, 429. Real property, £23, 030; of which £332 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 4, 476; in 1861, 9, 897. Houses, 1,813. The increase of pop. arose from the establishment of railway works, and the erection of a cotton mill. There are hat manufactories, chemical works, gum-works, a tan-yard, and a stained paper manufactory. A city gaol of Manchester was erected here in 1856; and a zoological garden is maintained in connexion with the Bellevue inn. The railway here passes 20 feet under the canal. There is a reservoir, of upwards of 70 acres, belonging to the Manchester water-works.—The chapelry was constituted in 1854, and curtailed in 1865. Pop. in 1861, 7, 017; in 1866, 2, 490. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. The church is a brick edifice in the Doric style. There are places of worship for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Unitarians, a national school, and an excellent boarding school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Gorton Ch/CP       Manchester CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Gorton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.