Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GRINTON

GRINTON, a township and a parish in Reeth district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, at the influx of Arkle beck, 1 mile SE of Reeth, and 9 WSW of Richmond r. station; and has fairs on Good Friday and 21 Dec. Acres, 2, 934. Real property, £3, 256; of which £75 are in mines. Pop., 611. house, 110. The parish includes also the chapelry of Muker, and the townships of Melbecks and Reeth, the last of which has a post office under Richmond, Yorkshire. Acres, 48, 961. Real property, £32, 558; of which £13, 101 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4, 924; in 1861, 4, 537. house, 930. The decrease of pop. was mainly caused by the closing of lead mines. The property is much subdivided. Much of the surface is moorland. Lead, copper, and iron ores have been extensively worked. A curiins cavern, called Crackpot, is at the sinrce of a brook which runs thringh the parish to the Swale. An ancient British camp and two barrows are near the river. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £250.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient but good; and has windows with interesting ancient stained glass. The p. curacies of Melbecks and Muker are separate benefices. There are a national school, several endowed schools, and some small charities.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Grinton AP/CP/Tn       Reeth PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Grinton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.