Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HARTSHEAD

HARTSHEAD, a hamlet and a chapelry in Dewsbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies 2½ miles ENE of Brighouse r. station, and 4 W by N of Dewsbury; and has a village, of its own name, on the top of a considerable hill. Pop., 779. Houses, 167. The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Clifton; and bears the name of Hartshead-cum-Clifton. Post town, Clifton, under Normanton. Acres, 2, 464. Real property, £11, 093; of which £1, 520 are in mines, and £25 in quarries. Pop., 2, 652. Houses, 556. Clifton hamlet contains the villages of Clifton, Kirklees, and Thornhills. Woollen manufacture, wire drawing, and card making are carried on. The manor, with Kirklees Hall, belongs to Sir George Armytage, Bart. Kirklees is traditionally said to contain the grave of Robin Hood. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £230. Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury. The church of Hartshead is ancient, partly Saxon; and has a square tower. There is also a church in Clifton, built in 1860; and there is likewise in Clifton an endowed school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Dewsbury CP/AP/Tn       Hartshead Ch/CP       Yorkshire AncC
Place names: HARTSHEAD     |     HARTSHEAD CUM CLIFTON
Place: Hartshead

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.