Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HAUGHTON

HAUGHTON, a village and a township in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to Denton, on the river Tame, and on the Stalybridge and Stockport railway, at the boundary with Cheshire, 3½ miles NNE of Stockport; and shares with Denton village an ancient felt hat manufactnre, and an important present trade. The township comprises 1, 130 acres. Real property, £10, 848; ofwhich £2, 489 are in mines, and £20 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3, 042; in 1861, 3, 371. Houses, 687. Coal mining is largely carried on.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Haughton Tn/CP       Manchester CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Haughton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.