Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HEATON-MERSEY

HEATON-MERSEY, a village and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Mersey, at the boundary with Cheshire, 1½ mile SW of Heaton-Chapel r. station, and 2 W of Stockport; and has a post office under Manchester. Numerous respectable residences are in the village and its neighbourhood. The chapelry was constituted in 1852. Pop. in 1861, 1,875. Houses, 351. The manor belongs to Lord Egerton. The seat of the Bishop of Manchester is here. There are a cotton mill, two extensive bleach works, a pottery, and brick and tile works. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £130. * Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church was built in 1850; is in the early English style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and spire. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Manchester CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Heaton Mersey

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.