Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HIGHAM-GREEN

HIGHAM-GREEN, a hamlet-chapelry in Gazeley parish, Suffolk; on the Cambridge and Bury railway, at Higham r. station, 7¾ miles ENE of Newmarket. Post town, Gazeley, under Newmarket. Pop. in 1851, 343; in 1861, 407. Houses, 77. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £165.* Patron, Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church is recent. There are a Baptist chapel and a British school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Gazeley CP/AP       Suffolk AncC
Place: Higham Green

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.